Monday, March 31, 2014

Hillarys Blinds Country Craft Competition.

Picture heavy Post.
Hillarys Blinds have been running a Cut , Stich and Blog competition on their web site. The closing date is today so I'm just in by the skin of my teeth as they say!
I saw this competition mentioned on a couple of blogs but couldn't find the page on their site anywhere but  then my friend Sherry posted her competition makes with the links so I was able to find out all the details.
First thing to do was to send off for my free sample of material which there was a choice of 4 to choose from. By now though I had nearly run out of time to order so just got in in time.
I fell in love straight away with the beautiful Bird Parade from the selection.

 
I then spent a week mulling over what to make and at the very last minute changed my mind
as first decision  I decided was too easy. Well what's the fun in that and when have I ever taken the easy route!!
So first job was to nip down to the local charity shop for a picture frame.
I removed the old picture and glass and then sanded the frame down  to get a good key.
 

Next I needed to cut  the  material.
I hadn't realised till I spread  it out on the floor that the birds were in different poses.
Had a heart in mouth moment as I needed at least two birds to be exactly the same.
Fortunately two were. Phew!
I nearly left the frame as it was but decided to stick with painting it.
I used 2 tester pots in 'Blue Babe' and 'Teal Tension'
rubbing down between colours to achieve a distressed look and in some parts back to the original.
I steamed and ironed the fabric and attached to the cardboard insert  from the original picture.

 
Next I went off to my stash of beads and trims and selected just a few!
Next came the fun part building up the  fabric picture with embellishments.
Not too many as I wanted the original design of the fabric to still show through.
Here is the reason I needed  at least 2 birds o be the same.
I wanted the body of the bird to be in 3D and very slightly padded.

I cut just the body out and backed with an odd tree/branch piece.
I found some embroidery thread in a teal & turquoise which matched perfectly and stitched by hand.

Stuffed to give a nicely rounded shape.

Beaded detail of the tail.
I found some beautiful pearl shell shape beads that fitted the feather shape perfectly.

 
The finished picture.
I added a few beads to the flowers in the tree  for a balanced effect and then on  a whim
I added the dangly pearl heart bead.
 
Off to link up with Pixies Crafty Workshop #118 as I have used up loads of snippets from my stash.
 
Finally off to send link to Hillarys Blinds before I miss the deadline.
 
 
 
 

26 comments:

Di said...

Oh Mrs A - this is absolutely STUNNING!!! I hope it's going to have a lovely place to hang in your abode. Gosh, it's just fabulous - and should be a Hillarys Blinds winner in my eyes!

Hugs

Di xx

Di said...

Oooooh, if you can't find anywhere to hang it then we could put it in the tree house? :)

xx

Irene said...

Oh my word Mrs. A just GORGEOUS, I am lost for more words as your picture is BRILLIANT, another winning vote coming your way.
luv
irene
xxxx

Sue - said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Do hope it wins - it should IMO!

Kathleen said...

Totally stunning, who would have thought, well you obviously did.
Brilliant.

Kath xx

Cathy said...

Wow Mrs A, stunning work. This is totally beautiful. You are so clever! Cathy x

rachel said...

this is absolutely stunning - love it to bits - so very clever xx

Sherry said...

I just knew you'd come up with something amazing - it's
stunning - absolutely fabulous,I love it and I bet the people at Hillarys will too. So glad you got your entry in on time and best of luck with the comp coz after all that hard work & detail you so deserve to win. Really gorgeous fabric isn't it. xxx

Rocky said...

WOW!!! Stunning work, love the padded body and all those gorgeous beads.

Sandra H said...

"OMG" Mrs A this is absolutely brilliant hang it where you will see it the most to show you just how talented you are ......truly is beautiful well done x

Createology said...

Your peacock is beyond stunning. The frame is perfect with the coloring of the peacock. Your detailed stitching really adds dimension to this and I can imagine how gorgeous it is in person. Creative Bliss Dear...

Diane said...

Wow, this is just stunning, the embellishments, framing and dimension on the bird is wonderful.

Hugs diane

Josie said...

Fantastic make and beautiful handstitching. It makes for a stunning work of art - Good luck!

Bonnie said...

Oh, my, this is GORGEOUS! I love the depth and texture! WOW!

scrappymo! said...

Gorgeous! This is a winner for sure!

You are a fabulous hand stitcher...such lovely even stitches!

Loving all the sequins and the dangling treat!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wow!.. wow! Mrs. A!!!

.. how clever are you??

.. do hope your win as really love this stunning creation..
Too, too clever for words! Shaz in oz.x

Kimbo said...

Simply stunning Mrs A. How creative of you x

Sue said...

Oh wow Mrs A!! this is fantastic!!!!! absolutely gorgeous:) your so very gifted huggles Sue xx

JansArtyJunk said...

WOW!! Mrs A!!..I just knew you'd come up with something original and STUNNING for this competition!! LOVE it!! I'm so glad you sneaked your fabulous creation in on time... Good Luck, looks like a winner to me!! Jan x

Zue said...

This is a stunning piece of art. Wow!
You are so talented!
Sue xxx

Lindsey said...

Wowee! Fab x

MaryH said...

This is just a magnificent piece. Adding the dimension to the peacock's body was already such a pretty detail, but the beaded tail sent this one over the top. Couldn't be sure when I enlarged the photo but looked as though you had added some beads in the foliage too. The tiny hanging pearl heart is a beautiful touch as well. How your artist's eye sees, is amazing to me. TFS & Hugs

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

This is a real stunner Mrs A, it's absolutely fantastic.

Warm hugs
Maarit

Merry said...

I so love how your brain works. This is such lovely work.

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

You are so clever at projects like this. I like the tail detail. Very pretty x

Cathy said...

I'm back for another look, such gorgeous colours and fine details. I love it, Cathy x