Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Faux Leather Note books

I first saw this technique done on Doreen's blog  and Doreen had very kindly added the link to the tutorial for making them which is by Sheena Douglass so I just had to have a go for myself. Off I went and collected up the necessary items shown below.
Kraft card, Glycerin, Tacky Glue, Spray & Shine, Fabric.
I already had most of these items in my stash.
Video tutorial above  shows how to make these from  plain Kraft Card stock.
 
Sheena Douglass embossing folder 'Flying  Beauties' used
Paper for inserts in my stash  along with buttons and elastic string.

 
I used T.H. distress inks  Fired Brick & Tattered Rose to colour.
Finished book really does feel and look like real leather.

Pressed paper was in an assorted pack  from Hobby Craft  in my stash.


Showing the outside of cover with the stitched binding .
Toggle button using elastic for the enclosure.
Entering into the following challenges:
The Paper Nest Dolls #4 Anything goes.
Oldie But  A Goodie # Buttons. (buttons, elastic, cord, distress inks, fabrics all more than 6 mths old).
Pixie's Crafty workshop #113 Use up your snippets.
One Crazy Stamper # Anything goes.

23 comments:

Doreen said...

Love this,you won't stop making them now,I have made lots for family and friends.xxx

Unknown said...

I have bought the glycerin to have a go at this technique but that's as far as I have got at the moment. Just catching up with all your posts and you have been very creative - lots of lovely projects to admire on your blog.

Cathy said...

Going to have a go at this 1 day Mrs A. looks fantastic, TFS the link, Cathy x

Zue said...

Brilliant project, Val. you are very talented
:)
Xxx

JansArtyJunk said...

This looks fab Mrs A....will have to have a go at making one too..Thank you for the lovely inspiration :)

Sarah said...

This is just fabulous and looks so real!! Thank you for sharing with us at Oldie But A Goodie!! Sarah xx

Catherine said...

Totally stunning Valery Anne ! I saw it on the television and promised myself I will have to have a go ! Now I definitely will !!! Hugs, blessings and hugs from Catherine

Di said...

Absolutely fabulous Mrs A - yet something else to think about trying!

Hugs, Di xx

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Mrs A. Very clever. I have just come from another blog which has this technique on.
Hugs
xx

Sandra H said...

Oh my goodness Mrs A what a fabulous job and so realistic looking nice of you to share it too xx

Kathleen said...

Brilliant, looks gorgeous.

Kath x

Shari said...

Wonderful technique - thanks for sharing the tutorial and your fantastic finished project! Thanks for playing with us at One Crazy Stamper and good luck in the challenge.

Sherry said...

Love your leather look book - thanks for the link. I did see Sheena on the tele recently with an ipad cover made in the same way. Yours looks lush xx

MaryH said...

Gor-jus! Thanks for the link also. I had seen this done on another blog, but no specs & their acknowledgement of where it was done, didn't give me a link to find out how to! This is so lovely and it looks like a lot of fun. Hope I can jump in your newest b/fly challenge. Trying to scramble into Rudolph before he closes! TFS & Hugs

Sue said...

A great project. Thanks for joining us at One Crazy Stamper this month

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Wow, stunning - looks like real leather! I have to check out this technique!

Heidi said...

What a great project. I love it! it really does look like leather. Thank you for joining us at Paper Nest Dolls. Heidi - PND DT

Christine L said...

A fabulous project... loving that leather effect!

Thanks for sharing at The Paper Nest Dolls this time.

Christine (DT) x

Sarn said...

They look very nice indeed. xxx

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

Wow, this is really pretty :) x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love the faux leather look. I've seen it demo-ed before, someone made a faux leather wallet to house a gift card in. It seemed pretty straightforward but I'm sure some practice helps. The pages you picked for the inside are really neat!

cm said...

Look at you with yet another new technique tried and mastered! Stunning notebooks; certainly a gift that will be well-received! Amazing!
c

Greta said...

You are so creative, Mrs. A! What a fabulous project & does look like leather!