Monday, December 05, 2011

Button Annie.

I like making Raggedy Annies and my blogging friend Sherry likes making sculptured face dolls so when I found that Sherry was to be one of my partners (we had 3 each to make for) in the recent Button Floozies Christmas swap I just knew I had to make this for her.
The Criteria was to make a Christmas ornament to hang on a tree or to be a small shelf or table accent that is decorated with buttons. The buttons did not need to be the only decoration but should be a main or special element of the design.
I had seen a button doll on the Floozies blog and decided to adapt it to be one of my ornaments.




Her face is made from one large white button which has been sanded to give a rough finnish in order to draw her face. I incorporated the two button holes to make her eyes by cutting out small circles of felt, embroidering the pupils and then pushing through from the back to make her googly eyes. I have also given her red hair in plaits. Her legs are made from black cord and I added felt boots. Her dress is adorned with lace and trimmed with small red and green buttons to match the material. Last but not least her shrink plastic wand!! (Just had to get the plastic in somewhere).



Entering into the following.
1st Unique Gifts: Handmade Mondays.
The Crazy Challenge: Anything Goes.
Fab 'N' Funky: Anything Goes.
The Poodles Parlour: Christmas.
The Stamp Man Challenge: Create an ornament.
Craft your Days Away: Buttons or Bows.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw - she's sweet - such great character in her face and an amazing idea, to use a large button for her actual face. Your friend will be thrilled.

Carolee Crafts said...

Aww she is so sweet, love buttons

lovetartan said...

So cute - Love the hair and the little button in it Mich x

Wendy said...

Very cute indeed!

Sunshine Girl said...

She is adorable - love the snowflake trim around her skirt.

Unknown said...

Che looks lovely, any little girl would be so happy to have her in their room :)

Helen said...

She is really cute :)

Always with a Sentiment said...

Hello Mrs. A. How adorable is she. You are so talented and put so much work and detail into everything you create. Gorgeous colours, love her plaited hair and such a pretty dress. Absolutely gorgeous.
Hope that you are keeping well, take care.
Love Sandra xxx

Maggie said...

Lovely raggydoll ornament!

Faye said...

How clever to use a button as a face. She is an adorable raggedy. :)
xxx

Jam Dalory said...

She's great, really cute and original. x

Wendy said...

She's gorgous and so sweet...Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky this week.
Wendy xx

Susie said...

Oh, she is terribly cute! Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls were sort of a family tradition, my Great Grandmother and Grandmother and Mom all made them. I have a set from my Mom and Grandmother, but the one my Granny made is now history. I want to learn to make them also. I think somewhere in my Dad's house is the pattern my Mom used.
But your little make sure is a wonderful take on that little doll. Did you ever read the books?

Sandra H said...

Hi Oh wow so cute!!:) Sandra H

Unknown said...

She is lovely! I would never have thought of using a button as her face - a lot of work has gone into her, so I'm sure she will be loved for years to come.

Jan said...

Oh, how sweet is she. I love the dress fabric, she just shouts out 'Christmas'. Well done :o)

Jan x

Jacq said...

Hi Mrs A,
This is just Adorable!!! Love her cute as a button face lol...the dress fabric is just fabulous. Love the little wand. Just Gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Poodles Parlour and Good Luck. Hope to see you joining us again.
Hugs Jacqui xxx

Gaynor Greaves said...

Gorgeous project, thanks for sharing with us at CYDA, hope to see you again, Gaynor DT :)

Unknown said...

beautiful! Glad you are recovering from an eventful series of episodes! xxx

Martha said...

very clever of you! she's got lovely red hair and her face is cute :)

Sherry said...

.... and she's all mine - how lucky am I!

Ann said...

What a brilliant idea - so cute, so clever. Love it.

Beccas Pysselparadis said...

What a cute little girl, gorgeous :) Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge hugs Rebecca

Angela Weimer said...

This is so Adorable! Love it and all the cute details. Thanks for joining us in The Stamp Man ornament challenge and have a great day. Angela